Brown Sugar Pie Recipe
Recipe by Chef Justine Smith
A traditional Quebecoise treat during the holidays
180g All Purpose Flour
55g Icing Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
115g Cold Butter
1 Large Egg
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a food processor combine the flour, icing sugar and salt, pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse the mixture until it is mixed thoroughly and appears crumbly.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and pulse until the dough comes together into one ball.
- Rest 1 hour in the fridge covered in plastic film.
Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Roll the dough out to 1 inch bigger than the diameter of your pie or tart pan on a well-floured surface.
- Press dough into the pan, trimming the excess off with scissors or a small knife, gently poke a fork into the bottom several times.
- Return the shell to the fridge to chill for 15 minutes before baking.
- Cover the pie shell with parchment paper and baking weights or baking beans, then place into the oven on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking weights and parchment paper when finished baking to cool the shell.
1.5 lbs Brown Sugar
1.5 cups Whipping Cream
2 tsps Butter
1 cup Maple Syrup
Reduce the oven heat to 350°.
- Combine all ingredients, in order, in a mixing bowl with a whisk. Transfer the mixture to a pot and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Stir constantly with a heat-proof rubber spatula to ensure the mixture does not catch on the bottom of the pot.
- Once boiled, pour mixture into the par-baked pie shell; about ¾ of the height of the pie rim.
Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is slightly set – it will still look runny but will set as it cools.