Looking for a Passionate Pastry Chef
ART OF PASTRY
We are currently looking for a passionate PASTRY CHEF to join our talented kitchen team for the upcoming 2019 season. Located in Canada’s west coast, you will have the opportunity to lead the pastry department at a Relais & Châteaux property amidst nature, wildlife, and the ocean.
The successful candidate will be available to work the entire season beginning approximately mid-April through to the first week of November. Sonora Resort provides accommodation, meals, laundry, leisure and communication services for all employees. Transportation to the resort is provided from Campbell River via 75-minute marine transport.
To oversee, control and to keep the standard of all preparation which is completed in pastry department. Including: breakfast pastries, lunch desserts, box lunch baked goods, dinner desserts, handmade chocolates and petite fours and our in house bread program.
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills when dealing with customers, staff & management.
- Professional image, reflecting positively on the company.
- Highly organized and able to multitask effectively and work under changing priorities.
- Good communication skills within a team environment.
- Initiative to isolate and solve problems.
- Ability to relate to all levels of personnel.
ATTITUDE & CHARACTERISTICS:
- A positive and proactive attitude.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity.
- Enthusiastic self-starter.
- Willingness to learn and grow.
- Takes initiative to solve problems.
EDUCATION & KNOWLEDGE:
- 2-3 years as a pastry chef in similar environment.
- Formal education in Pastry and baking an asset but equivalent experience in the work place will be recognized.
- Red Seal
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, & TASKS:
- Production of all breakfast pastries, lunch desserts including the beach BBQ, dinner desserts as well as baking bread, any other baked goods needed for meetings or special events occurring throughout the resort.
- Train and appoint the Pastry Sous Chef to take over for he/she when they are on days off.
- Planning of all seasonal dessert menus for both lunch and dinner with the direction of the chef.
- Assists the chef in ordering for the pastry department, (any dry goods or special ingredients needed for upcoming menu items).
- Keeps the pastry station and fridge neat and organized at all times.
- Responsible for receiving and storing all fruits, berries and any product involved with the pastry department in the correct fridges or areas in the kitchen.
- Puts emphasis on teamwork and promotes team spirit in the kitchen and with the serving staff.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- Be aware of and promote safety standards to ensure both employee and customer Health and Safety.
- Create and maintain a safe, fair, and harassment free environment for all employees.
- Physically demanding tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines. Repetitive tasks, handling heavy loads, combination of walking, standing for extended periods of time, bending, crouching and kneeling.
- Employees will live on site for the duration of the season, and will leave the island on their days off.
- Will be required to work indoors with overhead florescent lighting.
- Will be required to work independently.
- Will be required to work in a busy kitchen environment.
- Understand and adhere to Company policy regarding the usage of Internet access and e-mail usage, where applicable.
- Be familiar and comply with all related company policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, please email your cover letter and resume to careers [at] sonoraresort.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.