Marine Operations Job Descriptions
Dock Hands have a very diverse role that keeps them busy and moving all day long. They meet and assist every boat and water taxi coming to the Sonora dock, as well as all helicopters and sea planes, taking guest luggage to and from the rooms upon arrival and departure. Dock Hands assist guests with foul weather gear and boxed lunches before their marine activities or fishing trips. They are also responsible for all outdoor maintenance such as window washing, pool maintenance, and exterior lodge cleaning to keep the facilities looking great. After receiving adequate training Dock staff will also supervise water sports at Florence Lake and provide guided archery lessons, guided hikes and fly fishing lessons.
Skills & Characteristics:
- Adapts easily to change; works quickly and accurately under pressure, tight deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Strong analytical, strategic and creative problem-solving skills.
- Exemplary customer service skills and a demonstrated willingness to exceed guest expectations.
- A calm, polite and composed demeanor.
- Creative and innovative with an outgoing, friendly and persuasive personality.
- Ability to work cohesively with fellow colleagues as part of a team or independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Effective decision making and problem-solving capabilities demonstrating sound judgement.
- Trustworthy with sensitive or confidential company information.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Professional telephone/office manner.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills with keen attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and Outlook is an asset
Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma required. Any additional education or experience in the Hospitality, Marine, or Outdoor Wilderness related fields would be an asset.
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card (Canadian Boating License)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Willingness to learn and grow.
Duties, Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Provide friendly but exceptional customer service to our guests.
- Work a variety of shifts as early as 5:30am or until as late as 9pm.
- Help guests prepare for their activities out on the water (fishing, Kayaking, eco tours, etc).
- Meet and assist every boat, water taxi, or sea plane that approaches our dock.
- Transport arriving guest luggage to rooms and deliver departing guest luggage to their boat or flight
- Safely operate an ATV with trailer to move luggage and cargo. Training will be provided.
- Unload and transport all groceries and cargo arriving at the resort to respective storage areas.
- Assist Fishing guides in vacuum-packing, labeling, freezing and organizing guest fish.
- Package fish for transport home or preparing orders for canning.
- Keep accurate written daily records of all fish caught at Sonora Resort.
- Maintain and clean all of Sonora’s pools and hot tubs following a checklist and documentation sheet.
- Clean and tidy all docks, lodge exteriors, windows, decks, paths, railings and public areas.
- Provide supervised Archery lessons at our Archery Range. Training will be provided.
- Drive guests to Florence lake, provide a safety briefing and supervision for water sports (canoes and Stand Up Paddleboards). Use a small motor boat on the lake as needed. Training will be provided.
- Maintain and set up fly fishing and spin casting rods for guest use at our trout ponds.
- Keep the Dock Station tidy and organized, including stocking of the guest “Snack Shack.”
- Set up furniture, carpet, decorations, etc for special events.
- Follow daily start up and shut down checklists, as well as weekly maintenance chores.
- Keep a positive and fun attitude to create a welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere for our guests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Company and Department Responsibilities
- Recognize that Sonora Resort is a service-oriented organization and act accordingly.
- Ensure good communication daily with the department manager on all issues, particularly those affecting customer services, employee relations and the economical operation of the department.
- Keep department manager informed on all matters that may affect the operation of Sonora Resort & London Drugs or on the attitudes of its employees.
- Reflect sound employee relations and a positive attitude towards Sonora Resort & London Drugs.
- Understand and adhere to all guidelines as set out in company policies.
- Maintain a professionally groomed appearance that reflects positively on the company.
- Perform any other reasonable duty or assignment requested by the department or General Manager.