14 February 2022 Shortbread Cookies
- 256g all-purpose flour
- 115g icing sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 227g unsalted butter - cold and cut into small cubes
- Place flour, sugar and salt into a food processor and mix briefly to combine. Add the cold diced butter all at once and pulse dough until combined into a smooth ball.
- Remove from the mixer, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour.
- Remove dough from the fridge 10 minutes before you’re ready to roll so it can soften slightly.
- Flour your work surface and rolling pin thoroughly to ensure the dough will not stick to the counter.
- Roll the dough out to your desired thickness, usually around .5 cm is a good thickness for shortbread.
- Using your cookie cutter of choice punch out your cookies and transfer onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes until just golden on the edges and still soft in the middle. Let cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Pink Royal Icing Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120-180ml warm water (optional)
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and mix lightly for 30 seconds just until they are a little frothy.
- Add the icing sugar, sift with a fine mesh strainer or tamis directly into the mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Adjust the consistency with the water as needed to loosen if needed or add more icing sugar to tighten back up.
- Add your food coloring of choice – if doing pink 2-3 drops will give you a soft pink finish!
- Place icing into a piping bag to decorate your cookies.
Happy Valentines Day!